APPLY: CARR CENTER DELEGATION,
UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY
OCTOBER 19 - 20
Send your application (résumé and cover letter) to Sushma_Raman@hks.harvard.edu by Friday 22 September, 5pm.
The Carr Center for Human Rights Policy at the Harvard Kennedy School seeks applications from students to participate in a special delegation to New York for the United Nations General Assembly.
The trip, being held over two full days on October 19th and 20th, 2017, will include meetings with senior UN policymakers:
- Assistant Secretary General for Human Rights;
- Special Adviser on the Responsibility to Protect;
- Special Representative on Violence Against Children;
- Special rapporteurs.
Participants will also have opportunities to meet with delegates representing member states and civil society, and to attend a session of the Third Committee of the General Assembly. The Third Committee discusses a broad range of human rights matters, from civil and political, to economic, social, and cultural rights, as well as the human rights situation of particular groups, such as women, children, refugees, and LGBT people.
Preference is given to Harvard Kennedy School students with a strong interest in and commitment to human rights, international relations, and global governance, as well as Carr Center research fellows whose research interests align with the trip's objectives. Students from other Harvard graduate schools will be considered on a case-by-case basis, pending available space and demonstrable interest in these issues.
If selected, participants will be required to fully participate in all activities on both days, beginning at 8:30am on Thursday 19 October and ending at 6pm on Friday 20 October. Limited ground transportation subsidies will be available. Boxed lunches and Thursday night dinner will be provided for all participants. Participants are responsible for other costs.
Participants will also be required to attend two Carr Center-convened workshops before traveling to New York. Please only apply if you are available to attend these events:
- An Introduction to the UN and Human Rights: September 26, 11:45am - 1:00pm, Rubenstein-229 (Speaker: Leonardo Castilho, Carr Center Fellow and lead organizer of the delegation. Lunch will be served).
- UN Treaty Bodies: The Work of the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights: October 12, 9:00 - 10:00am, NYE A, Taubman 5th floor (Speaker: Maria Virginia Bras Gomes, Chair of UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. Breakfast will be served).
Learn more about the trip on the Carr Center's website.